Pages

Homemade Pickles

So you planted 2,4,8 rows of cucumbers and now the pantry is overflowing. Everyone you know has them so you can't give them away. Chickens are full besides they like the cabbage better. It's time for pickles. I love a basic recipe, then I play with it to make it what I like, so play with this. I don't know why you can't use this for canning just make sure your jars are packed full. HAVE FUN...
Pickles can be made with any vinegar and any spices. You can ether can them or make them for dinner tonight. You can add a pepper or pickle peppers themselves. It is all your choice but here is a basic recipe for you to follow. You can exchange any ingredients, I'm not a dill fan so I omitted it. You can use pickling spice instead. Your cucumber does not have to be lemons it can be any cucumber.


 


Lemon cucumber refrigerator pickles
  • 3 lemon cucumbers
  • 1c water
  • 1/2c white vinegar  
  • 1/2c rice wine vinegar
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbls coriander
  • 1 tbls peppercorns
  • 1 1/2 ts mustard seed
  • 2 tbls salt (I use kosher)
  • 2 tbls sugar
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1qt ball jar and lid. I used the plastic one.

In a sauce pan bring vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a boil. Now turn off the stove and wait for the sugar and salt to completely dissolve. Meanwhile slice cucumbers! I use a mandolin with the 1/8in attachment. Also slice garlic. In a small bowl mix all other ingredients except the bay leaves.
Layer all the ingredients in the jar and then top it off with the hot liquid and seal the jar. Refrigerate. When I pulled these out the heat to cold had sealed the jar all on its own felt like popping open a new jar.
I made sweet pickles today just added 1/2c sugar, used all the same ingredients. I only used 2 cucumbers and filled a pint jar.

3 comments:

  1. Zucchini pickles just like cucumbers do so if you have a garden full and are looking for a way to use them, that will work as well. Tehy taste just like the cucumber ones.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. O cool Dawn:) Thank you for the info on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that. My mother-in-law always has way more zukes than she knows what to do with, since I'm getting into canning this year I might try this with her zukes. Thanx for the info.

    ReplyDelete