Pages

Chicken watering nipples!

Hi everyone!

When I first got my girls I wanted to make sure to keep them safe from anything that could hurt or kill them and a big part of that was keeping there water clean. I read a little about keeping chickens water clean and found that if it's not kept clean your chicks can get botulism. Me being an organic farmer/gardener I did not want to treat my chickens with antibiotics so I had to look to natural methods. Keeping water clean was at the top of the list:) You can also give your chicks some organic yogurt to build up there immunities.

All this leads to me wanting to talk to you all a little about how I am keeping my chickens water very very clean! It all started with me not wanting to have to change my chickens water everyday! I mean, these chickens sure can dirty up that water very fast as some of you may already know;) I watched them over time and noticed that my chickens beaks were getting quite dirty from the feed and whatever else was in there cage. And of course they did not care to clean up there faces before they drank out of there water dish that I was working so hard to keep clean for them! (Ingrates!! LOL!!)


Needless to say the water was quickly starting to go rancid due to all the feed and other things stuck to the chickens beaks coming off in the water. Even though I kept the water hanging high enough so that my girls could not poop or spread bedding in the water dish it was getting crazy dirty.

If you are anything like me you just don't have time to clean the water all the time so that lead me to see what other people are doing and that lead me to water nipples for chickens.

Here is a close up of mine.
I got some from ebay but it took forever to get to me so I found some on Amazon. They are cheap and very easy to install. You can buy them here! Make sure and tell me what you guys think of them when you use them!

The water nipples worked great for me so I wanted to show you guys how to install one on a small water bottle for there brooder so my chicks have very clean water! You can also line PVC pipe with lots of these nipples but they are not made for pressurized hoses so you will have to have the pipe hooked to a water source that drains into the pipe. Or you can just put like 4 of them on the bottom of a bucket. Remember to put the lid on the bucket so your girls cannot get into the water:)

I have not had any issues with it just yet and the chicks took to it like 20 min after I made it!! Just tap on the nipple so they can see the water come out of it.

Things needed for this easy project:
  • My video up top there;)
  • 5/16 drill bit
  • Chicken watering nipples. (buy them from the link above or click here!)
  • Water bottle.

Some of the benefits of using these chicken watering nipples:
  • There cheep;)
  • Very easy to install.
  • Add vitamins to there water.
  • You will go through water a lot less.
  • Keeps water clean and clear of any debris.

Make sure to encourage others around you and teach your kids how to grow there own foods and how to take care of any livestock. You never know when this "know how" will be needed:)

God bless you guys and your little homesteads!!


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I just tried this a few days ago- and had a big problem. I put my chicken nipples in a waterbottle and screwed the lid on tight. Suction built up in the bottle, and a couple days later they werent getting any water. In fact, it was on the day that I was feeling confident in the watering system, so I just saw that it was full and didnt actually check the nipples all day. They werent working. When I went to check on them in the evening they flew out of the coop to find water- they were so thirsty. I am lucky they didnt die since we live in Phoenix. Anyway, make sure you have a hole in the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are so right! Sorry I missed that:( Other then that how did you like the nipples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made mine with a five gallon bucket, but I started with a 2 liter soda bottle just to see how it would work.

    One suggestion I would make, get the bottle higher so they have to reach for it a little, and then raise it higher as they get bigger. The way you have it so low, they are bending to get the water, it you raise it so it is just ABOVE their head, the water will be easier for them to swallow.

    And I believe the correct drill size is 11/32. I recall that size as being mentioned by the company on eBay that I bought mine from (three orders now, I have been making them for friends and I get my buckets free from the super market I shop with) and I have never had a problem. I even made one with a short piece of 1" PVC pipe coming out of the bucket, then a 90 degree elbow, and three nipples on the 12" pipe feeding off the elbow, it works supper.

    Thank you bunches for sharing this with every one.

    Skip O'Brien
    Golden Valley, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the water, I figured that one out over time:) Also, the drillbit size are you seem to work pretty good but it was a little too snug!

      I will try what you suggested:)

      Delete